Finance Department Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall is located at 938 Fresno Street. We are open Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (excluding holidays). You can contact the office by calling (209) 862-3725 option 2 or by contacting us here.

You will need to complete Application for Utility Service here and provide a copy of your grant deed (if you’re the home owner) or a copy of your rental agreement (if a tenant) and a copy of your ID.  You can bring them to City Hall at 938 Fresno Street or email them to the address on the form.  A $25.00 application fee will be charged to your first bill.  If you are a tenant a $150.00 deposit is required.

Bills are due on the 10th day of each month. (If the 10th falls on a weekend or holiday the bill is due the next business day.)

There are four (4) easy ways to pay your bill:

  1. Mail your payment to PO Box 787
  2. Use the City drop box located in front of City Hall
  3. In person at City Hall
  4. Pay online

You can pay with a Debit or Credit card online or in person at City Hall – 938 Fresno St.

If for some reason your billing statement is lost, you can go online to see and pay your bill.  Should you wish to pay your bill by check, you can contact the Finance Department at (209) 862-3725 for the amount due.

If your services have been disconnected, you must go to City Hall at  938 Fresno Street to have them reconnected. There will be a $25.00 reconnection fee plus a $150.00 deposit. You must also pay the past due amount. If you do not have any more late payments, the deposit will be credited towards your bill after 18 months or returned to you upon moving.

All calls regarding garbage service should be made directly to the City of Newman at (209) 862-3725, option 2.

Anyone conducting business within City Limits must obtain a business license.
Including but not limited to:

  • Retail and wholesale business
  • Any contractor doing business within the City
  • Soliciting or peddling
  • Delivery vehicles or merchant patrol services
  • Business operating from a home

The Business License fiscal year is from July 1 to June 30. License payments are to be paid in advance annually and are due on the first day of July.

Yes. You will continue to be billed; your utility services will not be stopped unless you notify City Hall.

Yes. Brush pick-up begins in November and ends in March.

For current water conservation status and outdoor watering times please click this link.